Date of Walk: Sat. + Sun., May 20-21, 2017
Time: tour gardens 9-3pm, rain or shine
Speakers: 3-4:30 each day, different topics
Gardens on Tour: 75+. Garden types include: eclectic, cottage, formal, zero-lot line, Japanese, serene, and whimsical gardens.Visitors can tour organic vegetable gardens, see free range chickens + beekeeping up close, and look at creative compost methods. Other highlights include a hand built Pagoda, ponds, fountains, arbors, raised beds, outdoor showers, fruit trees, and so much more.
- 3:00-3:30 Sat: Chris Masin: "Rain Barrels"
- Sun: Mary Wilder: "Rain Gardens"
- 3:30-4:30 Sat.---Lisa Orgler, (blog papergardenworkshop.com)"Create an Out-of-the-Ordinary Theme Garden”
- 3:30-4:30 Sun---Lisa Orgler, "Creating Structure in Your Garden"
Educational Booths confirmed:
"Urban Forestry", "Ask-A-Master Gardener", Memphis Botanic Gardens,The Dixon Gallery + Gardens, Memphis Storm Water Dept.
- --visit 6 artist studios along the walk
- --Southern Vintage Garden Vendors + photo booth op
- --visitors will have opportunity to walk certified level 3 arboretum trail
- --visit Peabody Elem. School Garden, 1st Congo Community Garden visit 2 farmer's markets, Guided Bike Tours
Cost: Early bird tickets (before May 5) are $15, which gets you a wristband for both days and a chance to win a gift basket valued at $200+. After May 5, wristbands are $20 for both days.
Eating: restaurants offering food/drink discounts for breakfast, lunch, dinner
New: residents/businesses to win prizes for the most creative “Container Gardens” and “Fairy Gardens”.
Garden Walk Map/Brochure: May issue of the Community Newsletter, "The Lamplighter” will be devoted to garden descriptions, sponsors, artists, business discounts, green business spaces, etc.